The following is intended to provide information on the Remote Area Grant.
• Purpose of the School Transport Scheme
The purpose of the School Transport Scheme is, having regard to available resources, to support the transport to and from school of children who reside remote from their nearest school.
• Eligibility Criteria for School Transport
Under the terms of the School Transport Scheme:
– Primary children are eligible for transport where they reside not less than 3.2 kms from and are attending their nearest national school as determined by the Department/Bus Éireann, having regard to ethos and language.
– Post Primary children are eligible for transport where they reside not less than 4.8 kms from and are attending their nearest education centre as determined by the Department/Bus Éireann, having regard to ethos and language.
• Application Process for School Transport
Parents of a child wishing to avail of school transport services, for the first time, are required to submit a completed Application Form for School Transport to their local Bus Éireann office; details of local Bus Éireann offices are available on the Department and Bus Éireann websites.
Bus Éireann, which operates the school transport scheme on behalf of the Department, will contact all applicants regarding their eligibility for school transport:
– where there is a transport service available for eligible children, Bus Éireann will continue to liaise with eligible families regarding invoicing, payments, ticketing etc.
– where there is no transport service available for eligible children, Bus Éireann will forward the applicants’ details to the Department, which will then contact families directly regarding the Remote Area Grant.
It is important to note that an application for school transport must be made before a Remote Area Grant may be considered.
• Remote Area Grant
An eligible child for whom no transport service is available may, following an application for transport within the prescribed time limits, receive a Remote Area Grant towards the cost of private transport arrangements.
An application for transport must be submitted for each subsequent child requiring transport, even in cases where the family is already in receipt of the Remote Area Grant.
The grant, which is payable annually at the end of the school year, is generally based on the distance a family resides from their school of eligibility.
The Remote Area Grant is also payable for eligible primary or post primary children who have to travel 3.2 kms or more to or from a Bus Éireann designated pick up/set down point.
Where the pick-up point is more than half the distance from home to school:
– the grant will be calculated on the distance from home to school in cases where the family do not avail of the transport service.
– the grant will be calculated on the distance from home to pick-up point in cases where the family avail of a transport service.
• Rates of payment for Remote Area Grant
Distance Daily Rate
3.2 – 4.7 km €1.30
4.8 – 6.4 km €2.60
6.5 – 8.0 km €3.30
8.1 – 9.6 km €4.20
9.7 + €5.10
• General information
The maximum daily allowance payable under the Remote Area Grant is €5.10 per day – regardless of the number of children from the same family, travelling to particular schools. For families with more than one eligible child the grant amount will be calculated by reference to the child with the highest attendance record.
Grants will only be considered for the school year in which an application for transport is received; grants will not be paid retrospectively.
Grants are subject to periodic review and may be varied or withdrawn where circumstances change e.g. where school transport becomes available.
Any changes in the circumstances e.g. change of address, under which a Remote Area Grant was approved must be notified to the Department immediately.
For full information on the School Transport Scheme you should log on to www.education.ie and click
on ‘for parent’ where you may access Closing dates for application, Eligibility, Costs, Appeals etc.